Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday Evening Book Review #5

Happy Saturday. I will have a more lengthy post about my weekend tomorrow, but for now I want to share this week's book review.



Likes:

The extensive sections on yarn selection, how to change yarns in patterns and how to alter patterns to fit and look good on your own unique body
The different photo filled pages of Stitch 'N Bitchers across the nation
The author, as always, is so down to earth and understands the problems that all knitters go through.
She explains the MATH behind figuring out a lot of pattern qualities!

Dislikes:

Many of the patterns, sadly, are not my style -- a bit too quirky, flashy, etc.
I LOVE that she has instructions to change around patterns, and they are very well explained, but I still feel like there could be so much more. Probably it's own book.

Favorite Patterns:

Accidentally on Purpose
Basic Cable Hat
Belt De- Jour
Lucky: Clover Lace Wrap
Ultra Femmee

Overall, another great Stitch 'N Bitch book, and as always it's a good read and a good addition to any library, especially those who like to alter patterns to fit their bodies/moods/styles.

Vintage Modern Knits by Kate Gagnon Osborn and Courtney Kelley

Likes:
The patterns are cute
There is a good variety between colorwork, cables, etc. As well as sweater and non-sweaters. 

Dislikes:
The colorwork patterns still feel dated, despite the 'modern' title
I wish it was more than just patterns, but then again, not every book has to have extensive instructions and tutorials like the Stitch 'N Bitch book above.

Favorite Patterns:
Aijiro Scarf-- I LOVE THIS!
Brigid Jacket -- Not a button fan, but this one is something I'd actually wear

Overall, I LOVE the patterns in this book; there are so many I would make. I am getting excited for winter so I can try a few.

Ok guys, I had a major huge dinner so I am going to go work on my Amari Shawl and just veg out. See you all again tomorrow.

~Lisa




3 comments:

  1. Ooooh that vintage Aijiro scarf is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish that it wasn't so difficult to find a perfect book that would better explain how to alter a pattern, because I would really like to learn more about how to do it. Hopefully you will stumble upon such a treasure soon. I hope you are having loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have both of those books in my library, as well, and I almost exactly agree with your reviews! I've never knit anything yet from Vintage Modern Knits, but I love to bring it to bed with a cup of tea for some just-before-bed reading. All the projects look so cozy and fun to knit!

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)