Saturday, June 2, 2012

Saturday Evening Book Review #3

Happy Saturday! It's so nice here, I really wish I had more excuses to go outside! Sorry I haven't posted since Wednesday, I do have a few ideas for posts, but I'm putting them off for some reason.

Anyways, I have 2 more books I want to share with you all in today's review, so let's get started.

Color Knitting the Easy Way by Melissa Leapman 
Like: 
  • Whole section on color theory, something I've always applied to art but never really thought about for knitting
  • No fair isle or intarsia or etc what-so-ever, instead it's all about slipping stitches, striping, etc to make the patterns/designs look harder than they are.
  • Has many extensive sections of different motifs you can add to any pattern you want. 
  • Patterns for all ages
  • The patterns come in a certain color palette and have suggested other palettes to pick from.


Dislike:
  • I wish it did have intarsia, fair isle, etc because I'd love to learn some secrets to making them easier.
  • All the patterns seem really flashy, I wish it had a bit more options for color schemes that weren't so bright.


Favorite Patterns:
  • Striped Fingerless Mitts
  • Joan's Hoodie
  • Mitered Mania Throw


Overall, I like this book. Melissa visited Manhattan for a weekend workshop back in March, but I didn't take them because I was broke. Now I wish I had, because she seems very knowledgeable. I plan to check out more of her books in the future. 

Like:
  • Very extensive sections on spinning, picking fibers, wool types, blending, all kinds of things
  • The patterns have substitutions of store yarns if you fancy them instead


Dislike: (keep in mind that these are things I don't like, not necessarily bad)
  • Many of the patterns are not the kind I would wear
  • Some of the fiber recommendations for projects are really specific and sometimes hard to get around where I am.
  • Most of the patterns are sweaters, which means spinning A LOT of fiber, which also means they are more for wheel spun yarns then spindle spun yarns.


Favorite Patterns:


Overall, I like the tips for spinning this book provides, but I am not a fan of the patterns for using handspun. I'd likely use the store bought equivalents instead.  The author is very much into hand spinning and carding, and I wish there were more books like this for different pattern types.

In other news, I am in the process of designing more worsted weight socks, like my Basic Cable Socks that I published last fall. I have been sketching around all day ideas, because I really would like to see more worsted sock patterns. What do you think? Would you knit worsted socks if the right patterns were out there? Also, if anyone wants to test knit, let me know, I'll gladly have you do so. :D

I am also getting very interested in natural dying , something that came up, of all places, in my figure class. We made ink with plant roots, and now I want to dye with it. Expect more updates on that very soon!

I hope you all have a great weekend!

~Lisa


2 comments:

  1. That cat has excellent taste. :)

    Also, have you looked at The Essential Guide to Color Knitting Techniques by Margaret Radcliffe? It covers a LOT. I haven't worked my way through the whole book, but I'm glad I added it to my personal reference library.

    I like your book reviews!
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)