Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Other Obsession

I feel like I need to post more, but sometimes I'm just too busy with school and stuff. I do have my sweater done, but I haven't taken pictures yet. Expect that early next week.

Today, however, I would like to take a moment to tell you all about my other obsession (Besides knitting and school). To those of you who may not know, I am very heavily involved in my school's Relay For Life, and probably will be for a very long time. Relay is something I have a real passion for, because it hits close to home for so many people. 

I guess I should stop here and explain what Relay actually is, because there are so many people who think it's an actual race. That is where you are wrong.  Relay does not involve running whatsoever; instead it is pretty much a 12 hour party. For Cancer. Basically, you get together with a group of friends, coworkers, family, etc and form a team. After signing up, you start fundraising.  This all happens before the event.  Then the night of Relay, all the teams get together and camp out, usually at a stadium or something, and walk the track. By having at least one person from each team walking all night, we are symbolizing a cancer patients journey: the different stages of the night are like the different stages of cancer treatment. 

Throughout the night there are tons of activities, fundraisers, entertainment and ceremonies. As a member of the planning committee for my Relay, I am in charge of Luminaria.  Luminaria is a ceremony we do that remembers and celebrates those you have battled cancer. People can buy bags to decorate in honor of loved ones and then we line the track and do a huge ceremony where we light the bags and read the names. It's kind of a big deal.


So why am I telling you about all this? Because Cancer takes lives every year. I personally have lost 2 grandparents, as well as a couple of great aunts. I miss them all so much, and they all left before their time was up. But through the American Cancer Society and Relay For Life, we are saving lives. Every year money raised goes to many programs that help cancer patients, including: Hope Lodge, car rides to and from treatments, Look Good Feel Better, scholarships for cancer survivor students. Relay For Life is also the largest non-profit fundraiser in the world, and ACS has sponsored at least 13 Nobel Prize winners.  All the money raised from the events is going to a great cause, and the event is so much fun, so why not participate? 

Anyways, I would also like to tell you all what I am doing for the cause. My team, "Stairway to Recovery" is having a bake sale as well as asking our friends and family. I, personally, have been selling Stitch Markers  made with European beads, online and through my LYS. I haven't set up an Etsy shop, but I have a Facebook Page.  (see link on side) If any of you all are interested, you can check that out, or message me. I will gladly take your orders if you have them. :) 



I bet you guys knew I was gonna ask you to buy something before you got through the second paragraph. Well, yes, I am, but that doesn't mean you have to. I mostly just want to get the word about Relay and how amazing it is. It is truly one of the greatest causes to 'work' for and I will continue participating in Relays for a very long time. 

I hope everyone is ready for a great Spring, I know I am!

~Lisa


PS - if you are interested in donating to my team, but not buying markers, let me know and I'll set you up :)

6 comments:

  1. Wonderfully written post Lisa. You are so amazing and kind for devoting so much of your time to such a worthwhile cause. I'm sure that all of your hard work will pay off and it will be an amazing night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to order some of your stitch markers and to make a donation to your team. Could you email me your contact info so I can send a check? Lynn- Lam8147v2@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cause! I know too many people who have had cancer, some won the battle, some lost, but all of them were dear to me. Thank you for spreading awareness and giving so much of yourself to helping others!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post, Lisa. Hugs to you for giving so generously of your time to such a worthwhile cause! I'm heading straight to Ravelry to send you a message about stitch markers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really lifted my heart today -- thank you for sharing your other passion and for doing all the good that you do. Relay sounds like an incredible experience. I'm going to pm you on Ravelry for some of those lovely stitchmarkers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Relay is a wonderful cause and experience! I was on a team for YEARS and always looked forward to it! Good luck with your fundraising!

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)