Tuesday, March 20, 2012

First FO's of Spring

I feel like it has been forever since I have shared a finished project with you guys. But I am proud to say that today I have TWO to share!
First up is my Effortless Cardigan, which many of you probably remember me talking and blogging about. I have been working on this since November, 2011 and I probably could have had it done sooner, but I lost interest quite a bit with other projects. But, I still finished it in a decent amount of time, given that it is my first large sweater type project. 

If you look close enough, it is a little bit big on me,but the size choices were weird on the pattern and I was not about to alter it on my first big project.  Overall, I think this will be more of a lounge around the house sweater than anything else, but maybe once fall comes again I will wear it out more; the color doesn't really shout "Spring!" to me.  I wish I could show you guys better pictures, but it was hard to get good pictures with out zooming in too much.

Did I mention that I can now cross something off my 2012 Fiber Resolutions? I have finished my first full sweater successfully!


The next project I want to share is something I casted on right after I finished up the cardigan. Everything But Vintage Socks.  I have had a ton of Berroco Vintage scraps in my stash and needed to use them up. Since Vintage is my go to worsted weight sock yarn anyways, why not make socks? I decided I wanted to use it all up in one pair, so I went for it and made knee highs! They tend to fall down when I walk, but that's probably because I increased a little too much. Either way, they're very warm and are full of memories. There are 4 pairs of socks, a hat, a pair of mittens and my sweater all knitted into a striped pair of socks! Oh and I forgot to mention that my kitties like them too :)
Since I can't NOT be knitting something, I began work on my next project last night. Using some Manos del Uruguay that Ivy sent me for Christmas, I began swatching this very cute and simple cardigan, Abalone. Although the knitting will be simple, it has a bit of seaming and shaping I haven't had any experience with, so that will be a bit of a challenge when I get there. But after the last cardigan, I am up for the challenge!

I hope everyone is having a great start to Spring! The sun here has disappeared and probably won't come out for the rest of the week. It's so sad, because I really want to sit outside and knit, but I can't in the rain. 

~Lisa


21 comments:

  1. Everything looks just beautiful! I love how you got your stripes to match up- I'm never that good at that. Sorry about the sunshine, but as long as there is fun knitting to do all should be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda cheated on the stripes, I made sure they'd match up by counting the rows. On the second sock I just counted the same. I've been knitting so much I kinda forgot about the rain :)

      Delete
  2. I think your Effortless Cardigan looks fantastic! I bet it will be a really treat to snuggle up in it when cold weather comes! And, I just added Abalone to my Favs after linking to it from here! LOVE IT! It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abalone is going really well! And I already cuddled up in my sweater today, as it was being really icky with rain all day.

      Delete
  3. I have been thinking about knitting the Effortless cardigan too - I'm slowly working my way through a wispy but I want a cuddly cardy too : ) yours looks lovely!
    Those socks are fab! Well done!
    Bring on the sunshine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bring on the sun. I want to do a more decorative, wispy cardi sometime, maybe it'll be next. I seem to really like cardigans right now.

      Delete
  4. The cardigan might seem a little on the large side, but I really like it that way. It looks so cuddly and comforting, I'll bet that you will wear it all the time. That is why I've started knitting so many sweaters, out of all of my knitting projects, I wear those the most. WOOHOO for another fiber goal off the list! The socks are simply adorable too! They would make great boot socks because they are so long. That Manos is knitting up so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, I am officially addicted to sweaters. I never thought I'd say that. And I've already worn it quite a bit, it's nice to not have to wash it after everytime like I do with socks. The manos is so beautiful too btw, thank you again!

      Delete
  5. Lisa, your cardigan turned out so well!! And I think it looks just fine on the larger side: it looks so cozy! The socks are gorgeous (I love tall socks!), and that colorway of Manos is totally drool-worthy. And oh my goodness, adorable kitties!!! Love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my kitties too, they make great accents to my photos. I sure will miss them when I go back to school next week.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on you first real sweater project! It turned out fabulous! Though it doesn't scream Spring, I still love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the color too, it will definitely get it's use :)

      Delete
  7. Your Effortless looks great ... congratulations! I have a small frame like you so these types of drape cardigans can feel a little overwhelming but you'll find that this will be a great "go to" sweater. I've thought about knitting the Abalone, too, so am looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far the Abalone is very easy, although the instructions for sleeves scare me a bit. I'm still a little ify about the drape on the cardigan, but it's been keeping me warm, which is all that matters really.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful sweater! I really envy that you had the gumption to make one. It has been on my list for awhile but I really need to work out some of my tension issues first. I had a look around at some of your pages and my oh my you are a really great artist. I simply adore your carved hippo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am so glad to know that people look at my artwork. That hippo was so much fun (and work) to carve last year. I wish I was more of a 3-d artist sometimes.

      Delete
  9. Love your cardigan and the socks! I haven't knit socks...but I do have have sock yarn...so there's a chance in the future ;)

    I love your kitties! They look a bit like my girls Molly and Lucy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Socks are addicted, once you start you won't stop...buying the yarn anyways! I have so much sock yarn in my stash I need to knit up.

      Delete
  10. That Abalone is going to be great, the color is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely yarns, lovely FOs :) And you'll love Manos del Uruguay, it's great to work with.

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)