Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Back to the Spindle

It has been a very long time since I picked up my spindle. In my defense, I haven't felt like spinning either of the fibers I currently have in my stash, nor have I had the time or money to purchase more fiber.

A couple of days ago I just wanted a break, but didn't want to knit. I opened my drawer of spinning related things and found this:

100% Camel Wool (?) that Ivy sent me last summer. In the letter she explained that she simply could not get into the fiber and had no idea what to do with it, so was passing it along to me. At first glance back then I was like "When will I EVER use this? It's not even ready to spin!!!" but lately I've felt differently.  After reading some amazing blogs about spinning and gaining a little more confidence I decided to tackle the "Big blob of brown" (my pet name for it).

It still isn't 'carded', but I am spinning it anyways. And I LOVE IT! The threads I am getting are relatively thin, with a few thick spots here and there. The fact that it is more in chunks than nice, even bats, actually helps me to make it thinner. I'm not really sure how, but it's working.

I would love to show you guys a zoomed in photo, but the lighting is awful and any chance of zooming in came blurry to my camera. Just take my word for it, they are pretty thin (for me!). It's also very soft, and has a bit of a halo, which I love!

So this is where my readers come in. I need advice. Once I get this bunch spun up, how should I ply it? I am thinking there isn't enough to divide into 2, ply, and make a decent size amount of yarn. I am considering plying it with a different fiber, but I am unsure what. Anybody know what goes good with Camel? I will take any and all suggestions, I know you are all very knowledgeable.

Happy Wednesday all! Tomorrow is Thursday and then the weekend. My first week back after Spring Break isn't going as bad I thought. 

~Lisa 

10 comments:

  1. I'm absolutely no help with your plying question - although I have seen a Debbie Bliss Fez yarn which I think had camel in it - I can't remember what she plied it with. I am impressed with your drop spindling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, I love how your camel down is spinning up! I've never spun camel before, though I do have a little bit of raw down in my stash that was gifted to me. I might just have to go try it out, now that I see how wonderfully yours is turning out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be a crazy idea (I have lots of those),,,I've seen some really cool things knit with "energized" singles. In "The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook" there is some info and some beautiful little bag projects. A small drawstring bag made from camel down just sounds like a very cool thing to me. Have fun- it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you are finding a use for that fiber, I just couldn't work with it. I think that the fiber was officially marked as 100% baby camel down (don't you just imagine baby camels being so soft and fluffy after working with that fiber?). I'm also SO impressed at how even and thin it is looking. I agree that depending on what you want to knit with it, that keeping it single ply might be a great option. I really need to learn more about spinning from a technical angle, like Sara before I can give better advice. Also, I really like your new blog layout!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! It's looking really nice. And hey, you don't need to know how it's working, as long as it's working! There are a hundred and one ways to do the same time, just find the one that works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it's really soft, leave it as a single ply and do some lacework with it. Is it spinning up delicate enough? I know you mentioned some thick spots. It looks lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is soft, and thin. But it isn't relaxed as a single... I haven't quite reached that stage in my spinning abilities yet. Does it have to be 'relaxed' to knit with it?

      Delete
  7. Camel. OOOOooo. Sounds luxurious and soft! I have no insight into things spinning related, but it seems like whatever you're doing is working very well! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't spun or knit with camel yet, but it sounds lovely! I'm sure merino wool would work well plied with camel, both super soft. You could leave it as a single, too. You should "finish" your yarn with a long soak and a few "thwacks" and hang it to dry with a weight hanging from it. That will help relax it a bit, but if it is really overspun it might still feel wiry, and plying would help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't give much advice on the plying front, either, but it looks beautiful and I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)