Monday, September 1, 2014

Live from Navasota

Happy Monday friends! For some of you in the US, Happy Labor day as well. If you have the day off I hope you are enjoying it.

I have had a super productive day today. I was able to get some substantive painting done, art hung up and drawings mounted. Phew I need a break.

Now I'm sure that many of you are eagerly awaiting updates on my new journey. Well you are in luck, because I am hear to share with you some of my adventures so far.

We've been doing a lot of exploring and meeting people. One of my favorite adventures thus far has been our visit to the city of Bryan this past weekend. Bryan is basically connected to College Station (which is 20 miles from us) and has a very small, yet thriving art scene. We were in College Station Saturday for a photo shoot for a local magazine and decided to go downtown for lunch.  We ended up at one of the cutest and most delicious cafe's I've ever been to. The Village Cafe is part cafe, part gallery and all amazing. They even have a small stage for local music.

Wall by the stage. 

After lunch we went down the block to the SEAD gallery, where we saw some really cool photos and paintings and met the super nice owners. They told us all about their mission and plans and also gave us a tour of Innovation Underground, a program they have that supports new and innovative ideas and individuals. At the end of the tour they had us take a photo in front of their raven mural - which is where all the "celebrities" who visit get their photo taken.

From Left: Mick's friend Jose who came to visit. Mick. Catherine, Me

Another great thing about this program is that the house has gallery space (which is also my studio). They allow us to hang up whatever work we want and switch it out whenever we want. We're open for the public to come check out what we are doing also, so it's good to have something on the walls!

Part of my gallery space

I'm still waiting around for my easel to show up, so until then I am working on old paintings I brought along. The one below is one that I started at the end of the semester before my BFA, and then when I started new ideas and techniques, I never went back to it. I decided to give it new wind today and am already loving how it's looking. Sometimes having no still life is for the best. 


Overall, I am really enjoying myself here, I've met some amazing people and seen some amazing things. I've been on one incredible journey and it's only been a week. I can't wait to see what's ahead!


The house :)

Weekly Inspirations:
Knitting: I joined the knit group at the LYS here, and my first meeting was yesterday. It was so much fun and so chill. Everyone was knitting on something completely different, but they all seem to mesh well. I am going to definitely try and go back next week.
Art: We happened to see the show at the Art's Council when we were getting our photos done. I'm not the hugest fan, but I think that she has a good idea behind her work. Danika Ostrowski is still a student, but I bet she will go far. 
Food: We've all been cooking for each other here. I keep meaning to update my food blog with new recipes, but I just haven't felt motivated. But I can tell you that Catherine makes a mean split pea soup, and my burritos last week were pretty good too!
Life: What else can I say. Life is pretty much perfect right now.

Thanks for reading guys, keep checking back for more updates and don't forget to share your thoughts with me!

~Lisa


4 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad your program is going well so far. Your art looks great hung up like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alicia! And to think it's only been a week. I can't wait to see what lies ahead.

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic new venture for you. Your art work is so incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andi, I am so excited to see what I make while I am here.

      Delete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)