Wednesday, January 23, 2013

WIP Wednesday: A Project I Finally Liked

Happy Wednesday everyone! Classes started back up yesterday, and I can tell it's going to be a busy semester. Based on the math, I should be spending 3 hours a day in studio to get the 'required' number of hours in for an 'A'. I have plenty of free time to do that, but that doesn't mean I'm going to...

Today I wanted to tell you all about the club I'm in through Wildflower.  Kennita (owner) calls it "The Knitting Monthly" and it's basically just that. Every month she posts a new pattern that teaches a new skill of some sort, as well as videos to help along the way.  We also meet up once a month to work on these projects. I knew I wanted to join, because I love knitting with many of her patrons and I also wanted an excuse to learn new things, but I  never imagined I'd get this busy.  So far I've only been to 2 of the 5 meet-ups and only finished one of the projects, which is what I wanted to share today.

I'll start with September.  When she first released the information for this one, I was a bit disappointed. The cowl just didn't appeal to me as something I'd wear. It's pretty and the yarn required is luscious, but I just couldn't get into it. I purchased the yarn anyways, and started it at the meet-up, but it has yet to be completed.  The skills taught for this project were slipped stitches and button holes, and I definitely would like to go back and learn the buttonhole when I get the chance.

Yarn used: GGH Bel Air
Photo courtesy Wildflower Knits

October came and the pattern was one I would actually enjoy making and wearing, a twisted rib hat. At the time, I didn't have the funds to buy the required yarn, so I took some yarn I had gotten in Scotland with me instead to the meet-up, but alas, I ended up ripping out the band more times then I could count and by the end of the 2 hours, I had nothing done. I'm pretty sure this one is hiding in my stash bin somewhere too. I do actually plan on making one of these hats, if I ever find the time. I already knew how to knit in the round, but if I can ever get past the twisted stitch band, I'd love to figure out how to pick up the stitches for the rest of the hat.

Photo courtesy Wildflower Knits

November's project looked like so much fun, that I was sad I missed the meet-up.  The moebiusb infinity scarf was created to use the scrap yarn geode skeins Kennita recently started selling.  I decided once again to use my own yarn and happy casted on following her video tutorial, only to find out my circulars weren't long enough. So this is yet another project I have yet to make from the monthly club :( Once I get longer cables for my needles though, I am sure to have one of these knitted up.

Photo courtesy Wildflower Knits

And then December. She knew everyone was busy with holiday madness, so the project was a simple coaster that involved picking up stitches. Once again, I was out of town, so I was unable to attend the meet up and have yet to actually make any of these. I already know how to pick up stitches and have no use for coasters right now, so who knows if I'll ever make these.

Photo courtesy Wildflower Knits

And that brings me to January. When she released this month's pattern, I got excited. I love ruffles! And have always wanted an excuse to learn to knit them. What better time then when I have a bit of extra free time on my hands? So even though I missed the meet-up, I purchased the yarn last week and went to town. I am proud to show off MY ruffled duo scarf!

Photo courtesy ME!
Knitted using 2 skeins of Soft Kid by GGH (I am starting to love this brand), the ruffled duo is a ruffled scarf that was cast on using a crocheted provisional cast on, that was later removed to add on the second ruffle (in grey). I am not 100% sure if I did this right, but I like it none the less.  The yarn is so fluffy, and I am going to remember it for the next time I have another fluffy project to make. It's not that expensive either.

I hope next month's project is a fun one also, I'm excited to see what she comes up with for the warmer months.  Although I may not be making every little project, or buying the yarn, I still feel like I'm learning a lot from this club, and I also get the videos for future use, so maybe someday I will make the others!
~Lisa 



4 comments:

  1. Your scarf is gorgeous!! I love the color and the ruffles are fantastic.
    The club sounds like so much fun. Isn't it great to be able to learn new things and have a great new project at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how pretty!!! That is such an artisty scarf too. The name "The Knitting Monthly" makes me uncomfortable... Oh Kennita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh! I love your ruffled scarf! I've heard lots of good things about GGH yarn. Maybe it's time to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some fantastic WIPS. That scarf is perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Even if you are just saying Hello, I always love hearing from you :)